The Not-for-profits UWA Research Group (NFPs UWA) was formed by a group of scholars with a deep interest in the Not-for-profit sector. With the objective of fostering interdisciplinary research, collaboration and engagement with the Not-for-profit sector, NFPs UWA itself reflects the diversity and significance of the Not-for-profit sector. As such, the research group is interested in issues ranging from the nature and function of the sector, to the performance, governance, reporting and regulation of Not-for-profits. We are also cognisant of the increasingly blurred boundaries with the government and business sectors and so our focus extends to increasing our understanding of these important relationships. Our key strengths lie in the broad spectrum of sector experience and research inquiry of our researchers.
The primary focus of NFPs UWA is to encourage, perform and disseminate research practice and results. It is intended to build on the university’s already significant engagement with the sector by ensuring the research profile it builds is seen as industry-centric, prioritised toward key problems, and results in outcomes that can be applied. As such, the following research areas are currently prioritised. However, any research that is of high quality and aimed at enhancing the capacity of the Not-for-profit sector to fulfil its role is encouraged strongly.
Key research themes:
- The ontology of NFPs and the role of civil society
- NFP regulation, including taxation
- Social impact, including measurement, leadership, actors and social innovation
- The business of NFPs and charities, including their operation, governance and industry contexts
- NFP law, governance and accountability, including reporting
- NFP performance and management
- NFP finances and reserves
- Human services policy and service delivery
- Blurring of traditional boundaries between NFPs, business and government
- Philanthropy and engagement
- Advocacy and activism
- International perspectives
Members & Affiliates
For NFPs UWA publications, please refer to the profile pages of our members.
To get connected, please email: email@example.com